Updated: May 5
Kunun tsamiya is a favorite northern Nigerian cereal food. Its mostly enjoyed during the month of Ramadan and, as breakfast at another period. Tamarind means Tsamiya in the Hausa Language, and it got its name from the tamarind juice used as a flavoring.
I add Saffron to make my kunun tsamiya look vibrate and cardamom seeds to interact with other ingredients to give it a gripping taste.
If prepared correctly, this kunun can be enjoyed hot or cold, and at any time of the day. To prepare kunun tsamiya, you need to have the Garin kunu ready, which is millet powder. You can buy it in stores, supermarket or make your own and store the freezer. It can go for a year in the freezer.
one cup Garin kunu, 1 ½ cup Unsweetened tamarind juice, 1/3 teaspoon Ground Cloves, 1/3 teaspoon crushed Cardamom seeds, ½ teaspoon Saffron (optional) Water. Servings: 3
1. In a medium drinking cup, put 1/2 cup tamarind, rinse it and add 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water; allow to soak for four(4) hours. After this, use a strainer to strain to separate the water from the soaked tamarind and Set aside.
2. Use a mortar and pestle to open cardamom pods. The black seeds inside are what you need. Get at least one teaspoon of the seeds. In a clean mortar and pestle, crush the seeds to a fine coarse, or you can use a grinder if you want it smooth.
3. Add one cup garin kunu in a dry bowl. 1/3 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/3 teaspoon crushed cardamom seeds, and add 1 1/2 cup Tsamiya (tamarind) juice and mix appropriately; there should be no lumps except for crushed cardamom seeds, a seamlessly flow consistency.
4. From this consistency, fetch seven tablespoons and put in a small cup keep aside.
5. In a medium pot, add 5 cups of water and place it over the heat. Once the water reaches a boiling point, Pick up the pot of boiling water at once and pour it into the consistency. It should thicken immediately.
6. Get the consistency in the small cup and add as you mix. This process is optional. If you are satisfied with the thickness you got after pouring the water, then there is no need to do the 6th process. You only do this if you are not satisfied with the resulting thickness.
7. Serve in a cup or bowl and top it with crushed cardamom seeds and Saffron, alongside crunchy sweet potatoes.